Reflection on the Growth Mindset

     Prior to this assignment, I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset. However, while completing this assignment, I was surprised that I had never heard of the growth mindset before, as it seems like such a powerful tool for learning. While watching the videos about the growth mindset, the concept definitely rang true with my own experiences in high school. Some of my friends put in a lot of effort into their school work and received the good grades to show for it. As we moved onto more difficult classes, they were already prepared and had great study habits to push through any challenges that came up. However, some of my other friends were not used to putting in much effort at all. Prior to junior year of high school, they never did any work for class outside of school. So, when the classes got more difficult and they started taking AP courses, they weren't prepared at all. Some of them were able to adjust and began putting in more effort, but others pretty much just gave up since to them, the class was the problem and not their effort or attitude.
     Thinking about my own life, I think this concept will help me the most when trying new things. For example, although I played on sports teams when I was younger, I stopped when I started high school. Since then, I have lost what little athletic ability I developed as a kid. Prior to watching this video, I just assumed that I am not meant to be an athletic person, and haven't really gone to the gym or exercised more frequently even when I thought it would be nice to be stronger or more in shape.
     I kind of subscribed to Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, where people have different types of intelligences (bodily-kinesthetic, visual-spatial, musical, interpersonal, etc) and I was just not very bodily-kinesthetic intelligent, even though I possess other types of intelligences.
     However, after learning about the growth mindset, I now am motivated to try to grow athletically. Although I don't think I'll ever be a great runner or Olympic swimmer, I do think that I definitely have room for improvement! I guess it's finally time to follow through on my New Year's Resolution of being more active.

(Ready for new challenges with the growth mindset! Source: Growth Mindset memes blog)

Comments

  1. Ideas for improvement: that's exactly the goal, Alyx! There are an infinite number of things people can do with their time and talents, and it's totally up to us what skills we want to develop. I could never be an NBA basketball player, but hey, if I wanted to learn to play basketball, of course I could do that. The key is to find the projects that you are really excited about, the skills you are motivated to work on. I hope this class can be a good opportunity for you to try new things and develop new skills. And to have fun while doing so of course! At least for me, having fun is a serious motivator. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts