Storybook Favorites

Storybook 1 | Sky Siblings
 
     I clicked on this story initially because I was intrigued by the title. I'm interested in the sky and constellations and always have found space pretty cool, so the idea of a mythological story themed around the sky caught my attention. After clicking the link, the visuals of the blog kept my attention, I thought the background image of a night sky paired with the white slab font really fit the theme of the storybook and was also appealing. I like the layout of the site as well. Having the different sections of the story in the top right corner makes the site easy to navigate and also sort of mimics the natural motion of turning a page in the book. I actually like the layout of this site so much that all three of my favorite storybooks have this same layout.
     One of the few things I didn't like about the site was the content of the main landing page. The simplicity is nice, but the only text on the page is explaining that it's a project for this class at OU. For me, this disrupts the aesthetic of the storybook site and also takes me out of the storytelling. I think, if it was possible, making this text a bit smaller and putting it at the bottom of the page instead of the center would've worked better.


Storybook 2 | Women in Constellations
   
     The second storybook I really liked also focuses on constellations and space. Again, the title of this storybook was what drew me in. Like all my favorite storybook projects, it has the navigation menu across the top of the page. I like how clean the visuals of this site are. Like the other site, this one also mentions that it is a project for OU on the landing page, but the text is centered and looks more purposeful than the other page so it is less disruptive. The background images are very fitting and appealing.
     Although I've heard several stories and myths about the constellations and what they mean or how they were formed, they're always interesting to read over and over again. These stories were actually new to me, and I enjoyed reading through them. The first-person narration worked really well for these stories, too.

Storybook 3 | Hell on Earth

     The last storybook that stood out to me was visually the same as the other two, but differed greatly in theme. This one wasn't themed around the sky, but actually something beneath the ground. Hell! I thought the landing page for this storybook site was really effective at capturing my attention and drawing me in. After all, it's pretty hard to ignore large centered text that reads "Welcome to Hell." I also liked how the content on this landing page added to the story, instead of just explaining that it was a project for a class at OU. Reading through the content in the different sections of the site didn't get boring, and I thought using different colored backgrounds to divide each page was really clever. This site kind of felt like a choose-your-own-adventure story, except I had no choice but to travel through hell!

(Photo by Wendy van Zyl from Pexels)

Comments

  1. I like the contrast between the stars and the underworld for the projects you picked, Alyx! The stories about the constellations are a huge part of Greek mythology, and you can also find stories about the planets and stars in other cultures around the world. If that is something you are interested in for your own project in class, you can find a ton of great resources online, including these constellation books that are free online! link: books about the constellations

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts