Topic Research

     For my storytelling assignment this week, I used one of the ideas from the storytelling idea list which was to rewrite the story as a call-in radio show or advice hotline. I thought this was a really fun way of retelling the story so I think I might base my storybook around this concept, and have different mythological characters call in and talk about their problems using conflicts that happened in their mythology.
     I'm not sure which mythology I would want to use, as I mentioned a few different ones that I was interested in last week's project blog post. The ones I mentioned then were Japanese mythology, Egyptian mythology, mythology about the afterlife and mythology about the sky/constellations. I honestly think any of these could work for the storybook concept I'm thinking of, so I might change my mind in the future. But to get a start on the project, the one I think I would be most interested in using would be mythology about the afterlife. I think not limiting myself to one culture would give me a broader range of mythological characters to have call in to the hotline, and also keep the storybook interesting. I also think the topic of the afterlife could work well, since the stories could have a range in tone from humorous to more on the somber side.
     After doing some research on different afterlife mythology and characters pertinent to the afterlife, I came up with three possible stories.
     First, I think it would be fun to write a story about a concept that Laura introduced me to in her comments about my week 2 project assignment. Nekyia is the greek word for necromancy, essentially, where spirits are called from the afterlife to testify and often questioned about what would happen in the future. I think it would be interesting to use this concept in a story where a character calls in and then part of the advice the radio host offers is to perform a nekyia and consult a spirit about the future. I would probably use characters from greek mythology for this story, like Odysseus, Achilles, or Persephone, and maybe even some gods or goddesses.
     My second idea for a story involves Egyptian mythology. I'd like to write about Anubis calling into the radio show and talking about his job and the toll it takes on his emotions. I think this could provide a good way to talk about different Egyptian characters and how they reacted when they died and were mummified, since Anubis is said to kind of be the supervisor for the process of mummification.
     Finally, my third idea for a story involves the Japanese mythological afterlife/underworld called Yomi. Yomi has lots of names like the Land of Darkness or Hollow Land. The main myth surrounding Yomi seems to be a creation story involving the gods Izanami and Izanagi, who are essentially the parents of all other gods. Izanami is the mother goddess, and died during the birth of her son Kagutsuchi. Understandably, her husband Izanagi grieves for her loss and tries to rescue her from the underworld but she is not permitted to leave for a couple different reasons explained in the story. I think I would retell this story by having Izanagi call into the radio show and ask for advice about his wife's situation and how he can possibly rescue her or deal with her loss now that he is a single parent of lots of gods and goddesses!


Even Anubis needs a little advice sometimes.
(Image source: Wikimedia)

Luckily we have just the show for him!
(Image source: Gratisography on Pexels.com)



Sources
Nekyia & the Odyssey 
Anubis Bio
Anubis - The Jackal God
Yomi

Comments

Popular Posts