Week 2 Reading Overview

     While looking through the different units in the UnTextbook, I was surprised by some of the categories like 'Women Saints' or the fact that the unit on Noah included stories that weren't from the Bible. The concept of apocryphal texts really interests me since I was brought up religiously but do not consider myself very religious anymore. I'm excited to read the stories about Noah, Adam and Eve, and other famous Christian "characters" from the perspective of a different religion.
     Besides apocryphal texts, I tried to pick units that would allow me to read stories from a wide variety of cultures, and a mix of familiar and completely new stories. I read stories like Beowulf in high school, and obviously have heard some of the fairy tales in the units I chose, but I think it will be interesting to revisit them and see if anything surprises me when reading them from a different author. I am also really excited about the Japanese, Russian, and Czech units, since they are all cultures that seem to be very unique and distinct and reading their stories will help me to better understand them.


My UnTextbook Reading Plan:

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Noah

Week 4: Women Saints

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Ancient Egypt

Week 6: Folklore of the Holy Land

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9.

Week 7: Japanese Mythology

Week 9: Lang (Japanese Fairy Tale)

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: Sioux

Week 11: Inuit (Eskimo)

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: Beowulf

Week 13: Celtic Tales

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Russian Fairy Tales

Week 15: Czech Folktales

Finally, I chose to include this image of a tanuki since I think they're really adorable and it's interesting how mischievous and sometimes even evil they can be in Japanese mythology!

A cute tanuki!
(Image source: Cloudtail the Snow Leopard on Flickr)

Comments

Popular Posts