Growth Mindset: Learn from Other Students!


For this growth mindset post, I had the opportunity to browse advice from other students. There were a couple Padlet posts that stuck out to me and gave me a new perspective, so I wanted to share them here.

ENTERING NEW SITUATIONS So how do we overcome this uncomfortable feeling that many times prevents us from entering new situations that can enrich our lives? Our mindset is the problem. Instead of looking at new situations as a test of being perfect and proving ourselves, we should view new situations as an exciting new learning opportunity. There are so many opportunities to grow in our lives and we need to take advantage of those as often as possible!

I think this tip is a really helpful way to reframe new situations in my mind. I'm someone who is easily stressed when I feel like I don't know what to expect or what I'm doing, so new situations can cause a lot of anxiety for me, especially when it feels like the stakes are high or someone is counting on me. Looking at new experiences as an opportunity for growth and recognizing that my nervous and anxious feelings mean I'm improving is a way healthier mindset that I hope I'll be able to use the next time I feel stressed about a new situation or opportunity.

A MOTTO ABOUT RAIN
An admittedly dorky self-quote, but I think there's something powerful in viewing typically-bad things as inherently important to our own success: Rain doesn't always have to weigh us down; sometimes it can wash off our burdens.

While I agree that at first this quote seems a little cliche, sometimes cliches are helpful and just the type of cheesy motivation I need. This semester has been full of personal struggles for me, so thinking about the idea that a rainy day can be a chance to start over is a comforting thought. Although I think sometimes it's necessary to be sad for a moment and let the rain weigh you down for a little bit, eventually it becomes necessary to dry yourself off and appreciate the free shower. (I'm not sure if that metaphor worked.)




We all have different speeds and directions!
(Image created using Canva)

Comments

Popular Posts